Topics or areas of expertise that Derek can talk about (even in his sleep):
- Governmental financial reporting
- Governmental auditing
- Internal control structure
- Fraud risks
- A-133 and ORC compliance
How we know he knows what he's doing:
- He began his career in the accounting industry in 2004.
- He earned an associate's degree in accounting technology from Kent State University. He later received his bachelor's degree in accounting from the University of Northwestern Ohio.
- Derek earned his advanced single audit certification in 2018.
Furthering his professional development, Derek is involved with:
- American Institute of CPAs
- Ohio Society of CPAs
- Rea NextGen (class of 2017)
When he's not in the office, you can find him:
- Involved with his children's youth sports activities.
- Spending time with his children
Derek is involved in his community:
- Tuscarawas Youth Baseball Council (member)
Inside The Mind Of...
- What does "A Brighter Way" mean to you? To me, "A Brighter Way" describes our firm's ability to address complex issues with the technical expertise of a large firm while maintaining relationships with our clients like a much smaller firm.
- Why do you choose to work at Rea? I choose to work at Rea because I'm provided with the opportunity to maintain a work/life balance that is pretty hard to find. I also enjoy the "team" oriented culture at Rea and being a member of a team that is working toward common goals.
- What is your favorite aspect of your job? I enjoy the variety of work I am exposed to at Rea. Every day presents a new challenge when it comes to meeting the needs of our clients.
- What line of The Rea Way describes you the best? Respect your clients, your colleagues and yourself. Be generous with praise and constructive with criticism.
Just For Fun:
- What did 10-year-old you want to be when you grew up? A professional baseball player.
- What was your first job? My first job was working in the press room at a local newspaper, getting the newspaper off the press and distributing it to the paper carriers.
- What is one trait you possess that you inherited from your mother or father? I would say that it would be my work ethic. My parents instilled a strong work ethic in me from an early age and it has always stuck with me.
I am hardworking, honest and trustworthy. I am also pretty laid back and easy to get along with.