Topics or areas of expertise that Ben can talk about (even in his sleep):
- Taxation of health insurance for greater than 2 percent shareholders of an S-Corp
- Pass-through entity taxation
- Ohio Small Business Deduction
- State depreciation addbacks
- Municipal income tax apportionment
How we know he knows what he's doing:
- Ben holds a bachelor's degree in accounting from Franklin University, where he was on the President's List.
- He also earned a bachelor's degree in business from Goshen College and an associate's degree in business from Hesston College, and was on the President's List at both colleges.
Furthering his professional development, Ben is involved with:
- The American Institute of CPAs
- The Ohio Society of CPAs
- Leadership Wooster (Class of 2016 graduate)
- Rea NextGen (class of 2017)
When he's not in the office, you can find him:
- Spending time with his wife, sons, family and friends
How he's helped clients meet their business needs:
- A client was selling their shares in a partnership, but had no idea what their basis was in the partnership so they had no idea what capital gain/loss they would have. Ben worked with the client to gather the necessary documents to calculate the basis of their partnership interest so that they were able to recognize a capital loss rather than a capital gain based on a basis of $0 as was originally expected.
Inside The Mind Of...
- What does "A Brighter Way" mean to you? Going beyond what is expected to find the best path forward.
- Why do you choose to work at Rea? Rea is a great place to work because it provides a place where you can get the expertise you need with a small town feel. A place where you have the flexibility to work around your family's schedule. A place where you get to work with great people and great clients.
- What's your favorite aspect of your job? Meeting with clients and getting to know them more on a personal basis so I can provide guidance/advice/services that look at the big picture.
- What line of The Rea Way describes you the best? Invest in your family, your community and your future. & Take your work personally.
Just For Fun:
- What did 10-year-old you want to be when you grew up? A farmer
- What was your first job? I grew up working on my family farm. The farm was in Colorado and one of the biggest jobs was irrigating (not something we have to think about here in Ohio). I started helping with that from the day I could carry a shovel with my dad.
- What is the best restaurant you've ever eaten at? The Refectory in Dublin, Ohio
I am a hard worker who takes my work personally and is willing to go beyond what is expected of me to provide superb customer service.