Day-to-day activities at Rea:
At Rea, Brian specializes in federal, state and local tax, as well as sales & use tax. He works with clients to develop tax planning strategies for the future. Brian is also responsible for managing the tax department in the Millersburg office, and keeping everyone up to date on new and developing tax laws.
Topics or areas of expertise that he can talk about (even in his sleep):
- Federal individual taxation
- Federal business taxation
- State & local taxation
- Sales & use tax
- Tax planning
How he’s helped clients meet their business needs:
- A manufacturer came to me while they were being audited by the IRS. The initial findings had them owing over $100,000 between two years. After working with the client and the IRS substantially, we reduced the liability to approximately $26,000.
- A new client came to us with no clear direction of where their business was really making a profit. They couldn’t determine their true profit from their own records, and didn’t know where they needed to increase their sales. We worked with the client to break out different departments in their business to determine the profitability by department.
How we know he knows what he’s doing:
- Brian holds an associate’s of arts degree from Hesston College
- He also holds a bachelor’s degree in accounting from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Brian has nearly 10 years of experience in the accounting industry
- Brian is also a Lean Six Sigma Green Belt
- 2015 Rea’s NextGen Leadership Program Graduate
When he’s not in the office, you can find him:
- Involved with Kidron Community Council (president), New Leaf Center (treasurer), Holmes County Share-A-Christmas (treasurer), Central Christian Schools (finance committee member), Kidron Mennonite Church (Bible school superintendent), Leadership Holmes County (graduate)
- Spending time with his wife and sons
- Playing basketball