Is Your Local School District Being Reimbursed For Its Fuel Consumption? – Rea CPA

Is Your Local School District Being Reimbursed For Its Fuel Consumption?

Many schools may not know this, but public school districts, joint vocational schools and educational service centers (ESC) can request a reimbursement of $0.06/per gallon of fuel consumption. These requests must be related to the transportation of students, operation of service vehicles and use of lawn mowers. The resources used to reimburse schools and ESCs come from the statewide Motor Fuel Tax. Qualifying fuel type includes gasoline, diesel, propane and liquefied petroleum gas.

Fuel consumption that doesn’t qualify includes fuel that is sold to others, even if it is sold to a transportation company under contract to transport pupils. However, if the fuel is purchased by the school or ESC, and is subsequently provided to a transportation company to be used for the transportation of pupils, then then school or ESC would qualify for this reimbursement. You may wonder whether fuel used to transport pupils to private schools or alternative schools qualifies. The answer is yes.

Refunds may be filled out over any length of time as long as the refund is for at least 100 gallons and is within the 365 days from when the fuel was purchased. You can find a copy of the reimbursement form at the Ohio Department of Taxation’s website.

With today’s tough economic environment in which schools and ESCs operate, and the impact of state budget cuts and challenges to pass property tax levies, this could be an easy way to obtain additional resources.

This article was originally published in Illuminations: Facts & Figures from people with a brighter way, a Rea & Associates enewsletter, 11/20/2013.

Note: This content is accurate as of the date published above and is subject to change. Please seek professional advice before acting on any matter contained in this article