Topics or areas of expertise that Scott can talk about (even in his sleep):
- Sales & Use tax, Commercial Activity (CAT), mock audits
- Voluntary Disclosure Agreements (VDAs)
- State Sales/Use & CAT Audit Defense
- Nexus Studies
How we know he knows what he's doing:
- He holds a bachelor's degree in accounting from University of Indianapolis.
- His career in the accounting industry started in 2009.
- He previously worked for a consulting firm, DuCharme, McMillen & Associates and a manufacturer, Avery Dennison Corporation.
When he's not in the office, you can find him:
- Attending sporting events
- Working out
- Hanging out with my wife, Gina and their Australian shepherd, Brownie
How he's helped clients meet their business needs:
- A client had a very small accounting department, Scott went in to perform an overpayment & underpayment review of their sales & use taxes. It was discovered that they were paying tax on the same invoice up to seven times without realizing it. They received a refund of over two million dollars and Scott helped minimize any future tax liabilities or risks.
- After an audit, a client was initially assessed 13 million dollars. After researching all tax documents including engagement letters, agreements, sales/use tax returns, invoices, vouchers and various other documents to identify any potential areas he could remove from the audit. He also negotiated with the state auditors on issues they were presenting as taxable. As a result, the final assessment was two million dollars, reducing the original assessment by 85 percent.
- Finally, Scott had a client that were under 34 separate sales and use taxes audits in about 20 different states. They were not registered for use tax in most states, which is probably why they were audited in these states. Scott worked to get all 34 audits to minimal tax assessments. He also worked with the client after the audit to set up tax accounts in the states they were not previously registered and trained them on use tax compliance review. To date, they have not been audited since.
Inside The Mind Of...
- What does "A Brighter Way" mean to you? You are striving to be your best at all times for personal development and success, and provide a brighter future for our clients.
- Why do you choose to work at Rea? From the moment I walked in the door, it was very welcoming and everyone seems to be working towards one goal. It speaks highly to me that Rea is truly passionate about caring and developing their employees to succeed.
- What's your favorite aspect of your job? I get to meet and interact with a lot of great people at our various offices. Not only that, I like to travel around to visit our clients to see how their business works and how we can help them overcome their challenges.
- What line of the Rea Way describes you the best? Choose to be positive, everyday.
Just For Fun:
- What did 10-year-old you want to be when you grew up? A professional baseball player
- What profession would you choose if you didn't go into accounting? A sports analyst
- What is the best restaurant you've ever eaten at? Red Steakhouse
I am a hard-working, detail oriented professional who is dedicated to his clients and will not stop at anything until the clients overcome their challenges and are set up for a more promising future.