Topics or areas of expertise that Michael can talk about (even in his sleep):
- Individual income taxation
- Gift tax
- Estate & trusts taxation
- Tax planning
How we know he knows what he's doing:
- Earned his bachelor's degree in accounting from Ohio University.
- He has over 20 years of experience in the accounting industry.
Furthering his professional development, Michael is involved with:
- The Ohio Society of CPAs
- The American Institute of CPAs
When he's not in the office, you can find him:
- Doing projects around the house
- Enjoying the outdoors
- Taking a walk in the park
- Spending time with his family and friends
How he's helped clients meet their business needs:
- 1) I had a client situation where they had two main homes that they owned and maintained for their own personal use in two different states – I was able to help the client establish tax residency and domicile in a non-taxing state where one of their homes was located to meet the requirements for tax purposes to qualify as their principal residence. A few years later they had a significant taxable event that saved them over $1MM in state taxes by establishing residency in a non-taxing state.
- 2) A client had appreciated securities and wanted a simple way to minimize their taxes while still being charitable. The solution at that time was to have the client gift in-kind their appreciated stock shares as this provided a double tax savings by first not realizing any taxable gains if the stock was sold and second, the client received a charitable deduction for itemized deduction purposes on their Individual Income Tax return. Also, the client was able to direct where the stock donations were made to the charities of their choice.
Inside The Mind Of...
- What does “A Brighter Way” mean to you? A Brighter Way means thinking outside of the box to come up with solutions for our clients that are still allowable under the current tax rules and regulations. It means identifying solutions for clients that exceed their expectations.
- Describe your work style. I am confident in my abilities to accomplish the tasks and situations that are presented to me. I am driven to provide client solutions efficiently and accurately. I pay attention to details to provide clients with complete and accurate tax returns.
- What do you consider is your “brightest” quality? My honesty, integrity and value of client relationships.
- What “bright idea” do you find yourself sharing over and over? Having clients that are age 70 ½ or older make qualified charitable donations directly from their Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) from their Individual Retirement Account (IRA) that is not taxable up to $100,000 if directly donated to the organization under current legislation. This is referred to as a making a Qualified Charitable Distribution (QCD). The taxpayer(s) do not need to Itemize Deductions to receive this tax benefit.
Just For Fun:
- What did 10-year-old you want to be when you grew up? A Professional Race Car Driver
- What profession would you choose if you didn’t go into accounting? Medical Profession
- What makes you get out of bed every day? My commitment to serving clients and passion for my profession.
- What is the number one reason you would hire you? My dedication to my craft along with my work ethic and my tax knowledge and experience. When I say I am going to do something you can count on me to get it done.
- What was your first job? Mowing Lawns in the Neighborhood
- What is one trait you possess that you inherited from your mother or father? My hard work ethic from both.
- What is the best restaurant you’ve ever eaten at? PRIME Steakhouse
- What is your most prized possession? My Family and Friends
I am an ethical professional and uphold the high standards of the accounting profession in the areas of taxation. I am committed to excellent client service and generating solutions to specific client situations while adhering to tax rules and regulations.