Topics or areas of expertise that Kathy can talk about (even in her sleep):
- Sales and use tax
- Audit Defense
- Tax compliance for multi-state businesses
- Use tax reviews
How we know she knows what she's doing:
- She holds a bachelor's degree in history from St. Mary's College located in Notre Dame, Indiana
- She has over 15 years of experience in the accounting industry
- Kathy earned her Vertex® certification in 2018.
When she's not in the office, you can find her:
- Spending time with her husband and three children
- Watching college football (Notre Dame and USC) and college basketball (Villanova)
How she's helped clients meet their business needs:
- A Company had 60-100 tax adjustments each month due to sales tax billing errors because of ERP issues and lack of consistency in order entry procedures. I Worked with IT to lock down certain fields in order entry and implement an automatic fix to correct the tax code. Also, I trained the customer service personnel on what to look for before finalizing order to ensure accuracy.
- I reduced state sales tax audit liabilities for a client by implementing an exemption certificate program to simplify the capture, organization, and availability of customer exemption certificates required under audit review. Also, the easier access provided a greater visibility of requested certificates which reduced the number of errors found by an audit.
Inside The Mind Of...
- What does “A Brighter Way” mean to you? To be able to look at a problem from different perspectives, to fully understand the issues and to think outside the box to realize a solution.
- Why do you choose to work at Rea? Great culture, great people, great opportunities.
- What’s your favorite aspect of your job? Assisting clients to determine the best processes to enhance the efficiency and accuracy of sales and use tax process.
- What line of The Rea Way describes you the best? “Take your work personally.”
Just For Fun:
- What profession would you choose if you didn’t go into accounting? Architecture.
- What was your first job? Lifeguard.
- What is the best restaurant you’ve ever eaten at? Bayona, New Orleans
I am a professional, hard-working, detailed oriented sales and use tax guru.