Topics or areas of expertise that Justin can talk about (even in his sleep):
How we know he knows what he's doing:
- He holds both a CPA and CFP® designation
- He earned his bachelor's degree in accounting from Lake Erie College and went on to earn his master's degree in accounting from Case Western University
- He has over 5 years of experience in the accounting industry
Furthering his professional development, Justin is involved with:
- The Ohio Society of CPAs
- The American Institute of CPAs
- Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards, Inc.
When he's not in the office, you can find him:
- Watching sports
- Hanging out with family and friends
- Helping his fiancée plan their wedding
How he's helped clients meet their business needs:
- 1) A client once brought in a bag of source documents that were never opened and everything was disorganized. I brought the client in and had a 90 minute meeting with them. During this meeting, I helped organize all the documents. For example, I would separate all the income sources. I made an elaborate excel sheet and included accounts in this sheet. All the client had to do was fill in the amounts. This helped for the Schedue-C and the rentals along with other tax areas such as itemized deductions.
- 2) For multiple clients, I created 2017 projections to get an idea of how much state tax was owed. I also took into account the 2018 real estate taxes paid. Since the tax law changed, it was beneficial for clients to make state and real estate tax payments before 12/31/17.
Inside The Mind Of...
- What does “A Brighter Way” mean to you? “A Brighter Way” means to make decisions that are best for both the people around you and yourself.
- What’s your favorite aspect of your job? I get to help clients understand the best way to minimize taxes. I also get to learn a lot every year because I always run into unique tax issues.
- Describe your work style. I work really hard but I’m never too stressed on the job. I always try to get client work done as soon as it can be.
- What “bright idea” do you find yourself sharing over and over? For clients that do a lot of investing, I find that it’s smart to see how much in capital gains/losses they have by the end of November so that I can talk to them about a way to potentially save taxes.
Just For Fun:
- What did 10-year-old you want to be when you grew up? A baseball player
- What profession would you choose if you didn’t go into accounting? I would go into the medical field
- What makes you get out of bed every day? My fiancée
I am a very hard worker that gets client work completed accurately, timely and efficiently. I’m also upbeat and easy to talk to.