Topics or areas of expertise that Judy can talk about (even in her sleep):
- Real estate inventory v. investment
- Rental property income tax laws
- Materially participating real estate professionals
- Calculation of tax effects of gain (loss) on sale of property
- Nonprofit financial statements
How she’s helped clients meet their business needs:
- Tax on sale of property: discussed timing of sale to defer the gain until the beginning of the following year so that the client had an additional 12 months to pay the taxes.
- Gain on sale of property: recommended to consider installment sale to spread the tax over a number of years rather than reporting the total in one year.
- Defer gain on sale of property: discussed reinvesting sale proceeds into a like kind exchange and adjusting the basis of the new property instead of paying taxes at the time of sale.
How we know she knows what she’s doing:
- She holds a bachelor’s degree from John Carroll University
- Judy has 33 years of experience in the accounting industry
- She has previously worked for Owen McCafferty, Hobe & Lucas and Veres & Company (merged with Walthall in 2005)
- She joined Rea as part of the 2017 Walthall merger
Furthering her professional development, Judy is involved with:
- The Ohio Society of CPAs – member
- American Institute of CPAs – member
- Commercial Real Estate Women, Inc. of Cleveland (CREW) – member and past finance director
- Holy Name High School – past finance committee member
- Northeast Ohio Green Building Council – member
- Twinsburg Chamber of Commerce – member and past treasurer
When she’s not in the office, you can find her:
- Playing tennis
- Exercising at the gym
- Spending time with family and friends
Inside The Mind Of…
- What’s your favorite aspect of your job?
Being able to work with many different people in public accounting, clients, attorneys, bankers, investment brokers and more.
- Describe your work style.
Dependable – do what it takes to get the job done.
- What do you consider is your “brightest” quality?
Just For Fun:
- What did 10-year-old you want to be when you grew up?
An English teacher
- What is the number one reason you would hire you?
- What was your first job?
Cleveland Press route in Seven Hills
I enjoy working with clients and treating them as I would want to be treated by providing prompt responses to communications with accurate information.