Topics or areas of expertise that Joel can talk about (even in his sleep):
- Explanation of balance sheet and income statement classifications
- Selecting entity types (sole proprietors, partnerships)
- Individual tax issues
- Ohio's Small Business Deduction
- Partnership basis
How we know he knows what he's doing:
- Joel holds a bachelor's degree in accounting and business management, as well as a master's in business administration from Kent State University.
- He has more than five years of experience in the accounting industry.
Furthering his professional development, Joel is involved with:
- The American Institute of CPAs
- The Ohio Society of CPAs
When he's not in the office, you can find him:
- Serving as the treasurer for Historic Downtown Millersburg
- Spending time with his wife and daughter
How he's helped clients meet their business needs:
- A client's mother had become incapacitated and had no tax information for anything that had happened in the prior year. I worked with local banks and attorneys to re-create the financial history and file a tax return for the client.
- A client had errors made on their prior year tax return. I took the time to appropriately review the client's past return, and filed an amended return to get a refund of around $85,000.
Inside The Mind Of...
- What does "A Brighter Way" mean to you? The Bible says to walk in the light. "A Brighter Way" translates to doing a similar thing in the business environment.
- Why do you choose to work at Rea? Soon after I came to Rea, I realized Rea was like an extended family. That sentiment hit close to home, when my mother passed away, and nearly the entire office supported my family by coming to the funeral.
- What's your favorite aspect of your job? I get a real sense of satisfaction by helping people with their tax returns. Whether that means finding that extra deduction or letting them know they are getting refund.
- What line of The Rea Way describes you the best? Take your work personally. Quality counts.
Just For Fun:
- What was your first job? My first job was cleaning shelves at my family's hardware store. Everybody has to start somewhere!
- What is one trait you possess that you inherited from your mother or father? The ability to enjoy life and laugh when things aren't going well
- What is the best restaurant you've ever eaten at? The "World Famous Boston Lobster Feast," an all you can eat lobster buffet in Orlando. WOW!
I am someone who loves my family and am serious about work.