Topics or areas of expertise that Anita can talk about (even in her sleep):
- Government accounting and financial reporting
- GASB 68 and 75 accruals
- Debt Refundings
- Utilizing technology to be more efficient
- Microsoft Excel
How we know she knows what she's doing:
- She earned her bachelor's degree in accounting from Ashland University where she graduated magna cum laude. She was also a member of Delta Mu Delta Business Honor Society while in college.
- Anita completed her internship with Rea prior to formally joining the Rea team in 2005.
Furthering her professional development, Anita is involved with:
- The American Institute of CPAs
- The Ohio Society of CPAs
When she's not in the office, you can find her:
- Spending time with her husband, Jeff, and their children Abigail, Luke, Annie, Allison and Troy.
How she's helped clients meet their business needs:
- When a client was struggling to correct certain management letter comments and a deficiency that was being repeated year after year, Anita provided them with templates and references to follow to ensure future consistency and properly recorded monthly and quarterly distributions of revenue. After an audit that took place afterward, the treasurer was able to report back to the board that the issue had been fully corrected.
- An individual at a school district was promoted to the assistant superintendent position and, as a result, inherited the responsibility of ensuring that the school complied with federal requirements pertaining to the numerous federal grants the district receives. This individual had limited knowledge about federal grants and controls and procedures to implement to ensure that the school adhered to them. After spending some time with this person and the rest of the management team, Anita was able to suggest possible internal controls that would assist in the school's goal of being compliant with federal grants which prevented them from losing future federal funding.
Inside The Mind Of...
- What does "A Brighter Way" mean to you? Certain things in life are necessary and not always pleasant - like paying taxes and going through an audit. The difference isn't the end result because a 1040, a GAAP conversion, and an audit opinion can be prepared by any accountant - the difference is the journey you take to get to that end result. Rea is the brighter way because we strive to take the not-so-fun aspects of compliance and make the journey to the end result as enjoyable and stress-free as possible. We're here for our clients year-round for all their needs, not just once a year to meet deadlines.
- What "bright idea" do you find yourself sharing over and over? It doesn't matter how many mistakes you make as long as you don't make the same one twice. This idea was shared with me during my first year at Rea by Dave McCarthy.
- What line(s) of The Rea Way describes you the best? Embrace change.
Just For Fun:
- What profession would you choose if you didn't go into accounting? Statistician for the Cleveland Browns.
- What did 10-year-old you want to be when you grew up? A teacher and a coach.
- What is your most prized possession? My Bible.
My self-motivated, reliable & inquisitive nature drives me to seek solutions to meet internal and external clients' needs while creating efficiencies along the way.