Day-to-day activities at Rea:
At Rea, Ben is part of the tax team, where he’s involved with client relations, reviewing tax returns and researching and answering various tax questions.
Topics or areas of expertise that he can talk about (even in his sleep):
- Taxation of health insurance for greater than 2 percent shareholders of an S-Corp
- Pass-through entity taxation
- Ohio Small Business Deduction
- State depreciation addbacks
- Municipal income tax apportionment
How we know he knows what he’s doing:
- Ben holds a bachelor’s degree in accounting from Franklin University, where he was on the President’s List.
- He also earned a bachelor’s degree in business from Goshen College and an associate’s degree in business from Hesston College, and was on the President’s List at both colleges.
How he’s helped clients meet their business needs:
- A client was selling their shares in a partnership, but had no idea what their basis was in the partnership so they had no idea what capital gain/loss they would have. Ben worked with the client to gather the necessary documents to calculate the basis of their partnership interest so that they were able to recognize a capital loss rather than a capital gain based on a basis of $0 as was originally expected.
Furthering his professional development, Ben is involved with:
When he’s not in the office, you can find him:
- Spending time with his wife, sons, family and friends